Monday, January 16, 2017

On The Rise

When I started this blog I never anticipated it to grow or expand beyond myself (funny considering the name of it). I didn't expect this to be anything more than writing about albums that I love to people that would never read it. My perspective has shifted slightly with the addition of other writers as well as the fact that over the weekend a couple of bands sent me downloads to their music. Some even want my opinion on what they're doing. Before we dive into anything musical, I would like to say thanks to any and all of the people who have, for whatever reason, read anything on Growth. Additionally, everyone should keep in mind that I'm just a person. I'm not a musician. I'm not a producer. I'm not even a journalist. Take what I say with a grain of salt, and know that my opinion is just that, MINE. Part of writing these reviews is to get you to listen for yourself and formulate your own perspective. Now, on to why we're here...

Everything Never Intended by Life Is Short
Both the name of this band Life Is Short and the name of their debut EP Everything Never Intended has struck a chord with me. Just take a look at their album cover. There is a lot happening in that image. A person, animals, nature, music, cannons, the moon, a gun, its hard to process. On top of that, it looks like a giant puzzle the way everything is broken up. It is symbolic of how I feel about this as a whole. I'm not going to sugarcoat things, the EP started rough for me. The opening track entitled "Gum Band" was not my favorite thing I've ever heard. It was fun, which was fine, but it didn't feel genuine. It had aspects I liked, most notably little things like the subtle harmonies in the chorus, but overall they sounded like just another Pop-punk band, except for the fact they're not. The next five tracks show exactly why. I believe every word that they sing for the rest of the EP; not only do I believe them, but I feel those lyrics as well. They have this very positive upbeat sound, a fun and energetic style, and a very honest impression. Find what you love. Be with the ones you love. Live the way you're meant to live. Have fun. You'll be gone some day, so make it count. These are some of the things I puzzle-pieced together from Everything Never Intended, whether that was their message or not. If you're in the Pittsburgh area do yourself a favor and catch one of their shows. But before you do, get this EP for free on their Bandcamp page. Watch their music video below. Listen to them. Follow them on Twitter. Talk with them. Befriend them. Life is too short not to.


Drown The Earth by Pains
If it seems weird to go from a fun-loving upbeat pop-punk band from Pennsylvania to one of the most brutally heavy releases I've heard in the last month or so, that's because it is weird. But I don't care, its my blog and these guys deserve the love. Hailing from Rockford, Illinois Pains draw on a lot of seemingly different styles in the hardcore scene to create their own unique heavy sound. It opens with "Man of Misery" a disorienting two minutes and forty-four seconds of pure, enraged assault. I challenge you to play that first track and not become a stark raving lunatic. At the very least, you'll want to demolish something. And that is just the opening track, the EP itself gives you a much more expansive taste of what their future holds. They've got some shows coming up as well so if you're in one or near one of these cities shown below I would advise you to attend. Drown The Earth is also available on their Bandcamp page so be sure to listen before you go get the fuck down.

Muscle Beach by Muscle Beach

These motherfuckers right here! Everyone I have shown Muscle Beach to has the exact same initial reaction to them as I did, "What. In. The. Fuck." I saw the Denver trio open for Retox in April of 2014 and have had the pleasure of watching them grow and grow and grow into the unstoppable music machine they're becoming. Their style is hard to put a pin in. Hardcore-punk-surf-rock? Regardless of what anyone would call their genre, this album slays. Its full of energy, its catchy, its aggressive, its something I think is very special and distinct. They are also one of the best live bands I've ever seen. If you catch one of their shows be ready to dance, be ready to sing, and don't hold back. They are playing a show at the Hi-Dive on Friday January 20th for the Colorado Coalition for The Homeless, as well as kicking off their California Crooze Tour which is listed below. If that isn't cool enough, they're also playing South By Southwest in March. They are three of the nicest people you'll ever meet so be sure to say whats up to them. Also snag yourself a copy of this LP at their Bandcamp page. If you think it sounds great digitally, the vinyl will blow you away.


No comments:

Post a Comment