Sunday, January 22, 2017

Album Review - Tell All by Homestead


Tell All by Homestead
FFO: Counterparts, Capsize, Being As An Ocean

Favorites: “Doubting Thomas,” “The Vine,” and “Tell All”

This is my first album write-up on this blog and I can promise it won’t be my last. This post is dedicated to an album called Tell All by a band called Homestead. For those who are unfamiliar, Homestead is a five-piece melodic hardcore band from Connecticut. Although they have not been around long, they have already become a staple in their local scene.

Tell All is a collection of ten songs that tell a story of finding light in times of darkness and hope in times of despair. Each song is brutally honest in the most beautiful and poetic way. I would highly recommend listening to it from beginning to end at least once; it’s a really cool and emotional experience. The record flows beautifully and is more cohesive than other records I’ve listened to.
This record is heavy, but not too heavy. Songs like “If Only You Knew,” which features Louie Vigorito, vocalist of New Jersey band Idle Minds, “Dangerous Characters,” and “Relapse” will make you want to start a pit wherever you are. Each of these songs are written from the heart and have real meaning behind them.

My two personal favorite heavier songs are “Doubting Thomas” and “The Vine.” Both of these songs have a great balance of clean vocals and yells. “Doubting Thomas” has the perfect mix of yelled verses and a super catchy, clean chorus. The gang vocals on “The Vine” give me the chills whenever I listen to it and it’s incredible live.

Like I said before, Tell All is not an album with ten high-energy, heavy songs; “Mourn” and “Sulfur” are somber and much calmer than the songs previously talked about. Both of these songs are very melodic and beautiful. You can truly feel emotion behind the lyrics and the vocals; especially “Sulfur.”

The record has the perfect balance of heavy and soft songs but the most surprising song is the title track “Tell All.” “Tell All” is the closing song on the album. It comes after “Relapse” which is much heavier. On “Tell All,” the mix of clean vocals and spoken word over an acoustic guitar is more powerful than the heaviest riff or breakdown. The lyrics to that song are dripping with emotion and a love that comes from the deepest parts of someone’s heart. It’s truly amazing. The first time I listened to it, I was driving and had to pull into a random parking lot because I was so overwhelmed by what I was listening to. I had to sit for a little while and cry because it was so amazing. I’ve said this time and time again – music is powerful and one of the most beautiful things on this planet.

If you want to check out Tell All, it is available for download on Bandcamp and streaming on YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, and tons of other international streaming platforms.

Follow Homestead on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Bandcamp.


Author’s Note: I had the pleasure of seeing Homestead at their record release show in Mystic, CT in January and I will say that it was one of the most powerful shows I’ve ever been to. If the Homestead dudes come and play a show near you, go. You’ll regret it if you miss them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment