Friday, January 13, 2017

Julia's Most Anticipated Releases of 2017

2016 was a really great year for music, but 2017 is going to be even better seeing as some of my favorite artists are releasing new albums this year. Each of the time frames for the actual release of the albums are approximate, with the exception of one, and some have no release time at all. I know there are many artists I neglected to put on this list, but if I put every artist I liked on this list, it would be incredibly long. Here are my Top 5 Most Anticipated Releases of 2017.

Paramore 
Expect it: “When the time is right.” – Hayley Williams, vocals

When Paramore started hinting at a fifth album, I literally lost my mind. Paramore is my favorite band on this planet and have been for close to a decade. It’s been hinted via Paramore’s social media accounts that this album will be something very different from their past releases. Being that the band is only vocalist Hayley Williams and guitarist Taylor York, it is only fitting that this record be a departure from the old records. 

Brand New
Expect it: ?????


I think Brand New’s new album is the one I am most excited for. This album was supposed to be released last year, but the band thought that it was incomplete and pushed the release back. Their last LP, Daisy, was released in 2009 and it was like Brand New on steroids. In 2016, they released one completely new track and some older demos. The new track titled “I Am A Nightmare” is, hopefully, a taste of that new album. There is no release date or even a vague time when we can expect the album. Fingers crossed that it’s 2017 seeing that they’re disbanding in 2018. 

Stick To Your Guns 
Expect it: Fall


Stick To Your Guns is one of the best bands to come out of the hardcore scene in recent years. I am interested to see where STYG goes with this new record. It has been rumored that it will sound more like 2010’s The Hope Division and less like the Better As Than Dust EP that was released last year. Whichever way Stick To Your Guns chooses to go, the album is going to be good.

Being As An Ocean
Expect it: June 9
Title: Waiting For Morning to Come 


Being As An Ocean has never put out a record or song that I haven’t loved. Guitarist Tyler Ross has posted some samples of instrumentals that are, presumably, from Waiting For Morning to Come. Those clips sound more ambient and melodic than what BAAO has released in the past. From what I’ve seen and heard, it looks like that is the direction BAAO is moving towards which is a refreshing change in that scene. 

Lorde 
Expect it: Spring


I’m just going to start with this – I love Lorde. If I’m being completely honest, I was late to the party on Lorde because I found “Royals” to be incredibly annoying and constantly playing on every radio station that broadcasted close to me. But I did give her last album, 2013’s Pure Heroine, a listen and fell in love with it. Lorde has been tweeting and posting vague things about her album on social media but she did briefly discuss her new album and called it more mature than Pure Heroine. She talked about how her new record is more mature lyrically and musically than Pure Heroine. I am very excited to see where Lorde is going with her music.

No comments:

Post a Comment