Friday, December 16, 2016

Randy's List of 5 Great Albums from 2016


You've never heard of me. My voice carries no weight in the public consciousness. I have been told I look at the world differently than most people. When I love things I typically have very boisterous, aggressive and unshakable opinions about them. Music is one of those things. So, if you can accept that I'm just "some guy" and deal with my abrasive personality Then I believe I may be able to introduce you to some music you've never heard or look at music you have in a different light. This is my list of 5 albums that I thoroughly enjoyed in 2016.  


Lost Theme's II by John Carpenter



This is a very unique album, if I had to I suppose I would classify it as a score. That's a misnomer though, because it belongs to no film, play, television show, or video game. It's unique in that it essentially gives you a soundtrack for your imagination. This score is set to the movie in your head. Depending on how strong your imagination is and how willing you are to open up your mind, this album can work much like a hallucinogenic drug. Do whatever it is you do when you want to be alone. Take a long night time drive, sit by a beach, chill in a park, lay on your bed, you get point. Do your thing, and put this album on. Let it take you somewhere. It took me to outer space. 



The Impossible Kid by Aesop Rock



I'm not sure if Ace is referring to himself with the title of this album, but It's very fitting if he is. Impossible flows and beats. Impossible that he make's the most mundane things in life masterpieces of prose and poetry. Impossibly introspective thoughts. And above all Impossible that after a career spanning 20 years this is arguably his best album. This is a master of true hip hop firing on all cylinders. While other rappers flaunt what they have and bicker over who's better, Aesop Rock continues to put his tongue to the grindstone, forever sharpening his skills. He never brags or deems himself  king, so I'll do it for him. Simply put, he's the best rapper on the planet right now. If you're a fan in any way of anything falling even remotely under the umbrella of Rap or Hip Hop you owe it to yourself to pick up this album. 



Blanco by David Bazan




Big ups to Spotify's release radar on this one. I had never heard of David Bazan before this album, but damn am I glad I stumbled into it. He has a voice that I am unable to draw a comparison to. Dark, distant, and haunting. The music is a juxtaposition of jovial pop and the depressing side of synth driven new wave. This album feels like the specter of someone from your childhood, someone that passed away years ago, has found a way to reach out of the darkness and speak to you. Bittersweet, oddly familiar, leaving you with a feeling of strange contentment when it's done. Sad music that somehow makes you smile. 



Vacancy by Bayside
    

I'm a sucker for music that sound's positive playing against lyrics and themes that are anything but. There's bands that don't pull it off, band's that do it well, and then there's Bayside. They are in a league of their own, on more levels than one. Besides being the masters of upbeat melancholia, they are entirely unique, they have created a twin guitar tone that is completely their own and Anthony Raneri's voice is unmistakable, you will never confuse Bayside for another band. On this outing they have tapped into auditory nostalgia. Somehow they have crafted a sound that replicates elements of  60's pop rock while maintaining that trademarked Bayside sound. It creates an instantly timeless album in the fact that I'm sure you can play it around your parent's or grandparents and I can almost guarantee it will get a positive reception. This is also a very cathartic album. If you've gone through a difficult period because of a relationship ending Vacancy may just be what the doctor ordered to help you work through some of those feelings.      




99 Cents by Santigold





Every artist on this list can be described as unique, but even in this crowd of gifted individuals Santigold sticks out. She is singular. There has only been, will ever be, IS, only one Santigold. I have loved her since her debut album, but I will admit, there was an instant success with that album that I found troubling. Songs from it were played in national t.v. commercials, stores in malls, etc. I've seen this happen before and was afraid that after this leap into public consciousness a major producer from a large faceless label would get their hands on her and twist her music into just another mindless pop act. Luckily, not only did that not happen, but two albums later Santigold seems more content to do whatever the fuck she wants than ever before. Constantly defying genres and expectations. Like her previous albums, trying to classify or put a label on what it is, is futile. Really all you need to know is it's good, really damn good. Regardless of your musical tastes this album is highly recommended. Doing things entirely her way Santigold was able to make an album for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment