Thursday, December 15, 2016

Hate to Great

If you're anything like me then you'll have albums that you buy, listen to once, and absolutely hate it. Then a few weeks, or months, or years later you listen to it again regret your gut reaction. These are some albums that went from hate to great. If you're in one of these bands and actually do read this, please don't be upset. These albums hold a special place in my heart now.

Hyperview by Title Fight
I was so disappointed in this record initially. This isn't Title Fight, this album is boring and bland. It sounds like they had just discovered what reverb was and turned it all the way up to write the album. Such was my gut reaction. But that was back in February of 2015, which was unseasonably warm and dry for Colorado standards. As mentioned in my first blog, seasons have a huge impact on my impression of an album, and Hyperview is no different. A few months later there was a solid three weeks of clouds, rain, and a general sense of gloom. This album came on shuffle during that time and that was when it hit me; Hyperview wasn't meant to sound like the other albums. It has a completely different feel than Shed and Floral Green, but at the same time retains that ambiguous Title Fight sound. It also gave me a whole new perspective on those other two albums I had loved so dearly. I had never noticed that shoe-gazey sound in those older, more aggressive albums. After actually listening to Hyperview and re-listening to their previous works, their progression makes a lot more sense. This is an album I have grown very fond of over the last year and a half, and I am ashamed to admit that I disdained it at first.

Heavy Fruit by He Is Legend
Thanks to a wonderful music mentor (and even better friend) I have loved He Is Legend since I was 14 years old, which is about a decade now. During those 10 years they only got better and better, releasing Suck Out The Poison in 2006, which shattered everything I had listened to previously, then following it up with It Hates You in 2009 which to me is a masterpiece. After a long hiatus they came out with Heavy Fruit in 2014 and I was so disappointed. Where did all that "zazz" go? Where was the "lets party" sound? So, what happened? Honestly, it was the same thing that happened with the Title Fight album mentioned above. This album came out at the end of summer, and for me its 110% meant for the winter. The opening track "No Visitors" came on shuffle one night when I was walking home in a snow storm and I about lost my goddamn mind.  I immediately put the album on and continued my walk, which totally changed my perception. Every aspect of He Is Legend as a band improved with their break. The only thing I really do miss from previous albums is that deep growl that Croom would throw into tracks, but even then Heavy Fruit has become my favorite album of theirs to date, it incorporates that heavy sound they capture so well but is filled with what I think is one of the best voices in music. The harmonies are stellar, the lyrics are beautiful, and the music sets the tone for the whole feel of the album. I can't wait to hear what their new crowd funded album is going to sound like; maybe this time around I won't be such a dweeb right off the bat.

The Story So Far by The Story So Far

The first time I heard the album What You Don't See I was immediately mesmerized. It has so much energy, so much passion, and so much pain all at the same time. And then a girl broke my heart, and I had a completely new attachment to that album. In 2015 they released this self-titled album which, surprise surprise, I wasn't too fond of initially. Writing about it now, I can't even think back to what it was that I disliked. About a year ago my friend took me to dinner for my birthday and on our way she put this album on; I cried almost the whole way there. Everything about their self-titled album strikes a chord with me: mentally, emotionally, spiritually, even physically it still gives me goosebumps. It is lyrically devastating, musically captivating, and packed to the gills with emotion and energy. If one track ever comes on shuffle it is difficult to not put on the whole album front to back and sing my lungs out. If you ever see a guy singing The Story So Far shittitly in his car in the Denver area it will most likely be me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment